Thursday, July 19, 2012

Folk Festival


I'll start out by saying the Folk Fest was amazing! Mia and I started out Friday by going to Superstore at 9am to get our food for the weekend. We managed to spend $15 each which is pretty darn good if you ask me. From there we headed to the mall where I FINALLY got my jean vest (too bad I didn't have a change to wear it!) At 2 we made our way to the sky train station. We sure were a sight to see! I had a small suitcase, backpack and purse while Mia had a suitcase, cooler bag and purse. We made it to Robson and started walking the wrong way while it was boiling outside. Soon we decided to stop and look up directions to my uncle's house. Covered in sweat, we finally made it and sat in Waves while waiting for my uncle to get home. While waiting we decided to go get dinner. My uncle suggested Jimmy's Tap House or something and I asked him if we could even go in there. He said yes. After walking past it about 5 times we decided to just go in. We finally got settled and were then asked for id which of course we didn't have. We ran out of there and ended up at Noodle Box. The staff were super friendly! We were asked where we were from because of all our bags and they just chuckled at us when we told them.



Once at my uncles we got our stuff together for the Folk Fest (i'm going to call it ff from now on). We jumped on the bus and were on our way. When we got off, we walked up the street even though we were told to walk down. Anyway, we finally made it in time to see Dala and Dan Mangan, well and a few others! Dan Mangan was awesome! We ended up getting back to the apartment around 11:40 and set our alarm for 6 the next morning.



On Saturday we got to the ff around 8:30 and when the gates opened at 9 we ran like madmen with everyone else to save spots at the main stage. My favourites of the day were Dala, Good for Grapes (they were awesome performers), then a workshop with Dan Mangan, Wake Owl, Mark Berube, and The Once! While at this, I swear to you I had a moment with Colyn Cameron , the singer of Wake Owl! He was singing and we made eye contact. It was quite a large crowd and we held that eye contact. Then when The Once started to perform I glanced over at him and we made eye contact again! Maybe this was in my head but I think we had a moment.



It was smoking hot out so Mia and I walked through the Fold Bazaar which were a bunch of tents set up that sold everything under the sun, and walked to the beach. After this we went and sat back down at the main stage. Then all the sudden who sits right behind us? Well Colyn Cameron of Wake Owl. His friends had a blanket behind ours! I had the perfect opportunity to say something, even just say they were awesome, or I really enjoyed their performance, or ask for a picture. Of course I froze and felt to awkward too. I'm seriously mad at myself. Who knows if anything would have come of that but now I'll never know, and now they're in L.A! This awkardness needs to stop. But Saturday night was so good. We saw The Once, The Barr Brothers, Jaron Freeman Fox and the Opposite of Everything, The Head and the Heart, and K'NAAN.



We got home late Saturday again and were up early Sunday morning. We just missed our bus and had to wait 30 minutes. Then it started sprinkling. We got to the ff and set up 3 different spots. One at the main stage, one under a tarp and another at stage 3 which is where we were going to spend most of our day watching The Barr Brothers, Jaron Freeman Fox and the Opposite of Everything, The Head and the Heart, Wake Owl, The Cave Singers, Dan Mangan and Mark Berube. Then it got chilly out so we decided we'd leave at 2 to go get pants. Of course the bus we hopped on went a different route we were used to so we got off. We must have looked lost because a very nice lady asked if we need help finding something. 3 hours later we were finally back at the festival! That night we saw Hey Rosetta!, The Johnny Clegg Band and the festival finale!



Long story short, it was an adventure and a lot of fun! I was in my glory with all the music. I cannot wait for next year!